Saturday 7 March 2015

Looking Back Over The Past 3 Years

As I approach what could be my final colour belt grading I starting thinking back to when I joined Prestwick & Ayr TaeKwonDo 3 years ago. As some of you will know, I came from a karate background, first with shukokai back when I was 10 years old and then shotokai for a couple of years in 2008. My move to taekwondo was for a couple of reasons, first Teagan had started, Ieuan was ready to start and Karen was restarting after a short break so thought that we might as well train as a family. Secondly I saw you all having so much fun training that I wanted to join in. Must say a big thanks to Karen Harley, Mark Sawyer, Michael McRobert and of course Kuli Chahal, who persuaded me to give it a go.... "it'll be easy" they said! "Ouch!" is all I can say... but in a good way :)

I'd stopped the karate a year previously as it had been clashing with my working hours so my fitness levels weren't what they once were but that didn't stop me nearly killing myself on the first night. I'm sure Kiran and Mark will remember this as they were taking the class at the time. I persevered though and Kuli had me ready for my first grading in no time. One thing I still get a ribbing for is rising block, when I did shotokai they didn't have (and didn't seem to believe) in a rising block. Closest they had was a high section outer forearm block. The reason, I was told, was if someone was going to wack you on the top of the head then the best thing would be to step back and not block. Anyway I was so used to this my rising block was just a tad low.... took me a wee while to break that bad habit! And some say I haven't quite broken the habit yet.... Mark Sawyer! :)

Like everyone at some point in their training I sustain the odd injury now and again. The worst being a torn calf muscle and then tearing the other calf about 4 weeks after I'd recovered from the previous one. I've also had various shoulder, ankle and back problems. The latter being a long term issue which needs the occasional manipulation. Luckily for me I've been to some of the best Ayrshire based physiotherapists, they know who they are and they have my thanks..... and continued thanks for keeping the "old motor" ticking over.

Another thing I've done was to enter competitions. Now those that have sparred with me will attest to how bad my technique is. I can see where others are leaving openings when watching from them from the side but I'll be damned if I can spot it when I'm getting stuck in there. This left me with really either doing patterns only at competitions or giving the sparring a go and maybe having to spend time off recuperating and then more time at physio. Some comments in certain quarters, outside of the TaeKwonDo circle, were made about my previous injuries (saying no more on this) so I elected to do patterns only. First TAGB competition was the 2013 Welsh Open. I only entered as the kids and Karen were competing and I never really expected to get past the first round. Well I did, and the 2nd round and to my surprise I won a bronze. It wasn't just the winning though it was the atmosphere in that huge arena and how everyone was so friendly. I got bitten by the competition bug that day and even though I haven't won at every competition I've entered I still enjoy being there. I'd love to mention everyone I know and have met but I'd be here all night! You know who you are and I feel privileged to know each and every one of you.

My first few gradings were a pretty nerve wracking experience. I'd been along when Teagan and Karen had been grading, before I joined Prestwick & Ayr TaeKwonDo, so I knew what the format was and how it was conducted. Still doesn't set you up for when you're actually there and showing your technique in front of Master Donnelly. But after a few slaggings off from Mr Chahal and being told to relax more times than I can remember, I did finally relax.... at least prior to the grading, I still get those butterflies when my name is called out to go stand on the designated mark. Have to have a big shout out to some of the other instructors who helped me along the way, Hazel Bracken, Allan Lusk, James Reed, Michael McRobert and of course Scott McMillan. Along with Kuli Chahal, these people make up some of the best instuctors in the TAGB. Their time, patience and understanding has also produced some of the best students in the TAGB and I'm sure some of these young stars of today will be the champions of tomorrow. Lady and gentlemen, thank you.

Have I rabbited on enough for you? I think maybe I have. I hope the grading went great for the Glasgow students who were being tested today. Tomorrow is grading day for the Ayrshire clubs. Some will be grading for the first time, others for possibly the last time, in this format at least. Going to get philosophical here for moment... hey... its my post so I'll philo if I want to!.... For those who are starting your journey in TaeKwonDo, welcome and keep going.. its fun, its exciting and it will give you a boost that nothing else will. For me getting for 1st kup won't seem like an end to me more like the first step on a new journey, a path that leads to black belt. I hope Scott McMillan wont mind me pinching this from him, hes posted this on Facebook a few times, a black belt is just a white belt that didn't quit... A good truism if I've ever heard one. I didn't quit 3 years ago, even after injury so I'm not quitting now... I want to see what the next 3 years or 6 years or 10 years brings and I want to see some of the white belts of today becoming the black belts of tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Good blog post as always! well done honey <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hev.. it was one of those "quick ideas" that all came pouring out. Glad you like it :) X

      Delete
  2. Good one again iain. good luck grading tomorrow. jan.

    ReplyDelete